Oslo School of Architecture and Design (AHO)
The Oslo School of Architecture and Design (AHO) is a scientific institution providing education within architecture and industrial design, awarding the titles of PhD, Master of architecture, Master of industrial design and Master of landscape architecture. In addition, AHO offers post-graduate master degrees in urban studies and architectural heritage.
The Oslo School of Architecture and Design has a history stretching back about sixty years. The school was started in 1945 as a "crisis course” for architects who had seen their education interrupted by WWII.
Prior to this, most Norwegian architects were educated at NTH in Trondheim. NTH was a polytechnic school, and throughout the interwar period, many architects had called for a more artistically oriented architectural education, and for an education based in Oslo, where one felt one would have greater access to the most qualified teaching personnel.
The architectural education was initially a part of The Norwegian Arts and Crafts School (SHKS), but in 1961 AHO was established as an independent institution, from 1968 located at St. Olavsgt. 4. The school moved to new facilities by Akerselva at Maridalsveien 29 in the fall of 2001, and in 2005 the school changed its name from The Oslo School of Architecture to The Oslo School of Architecture and Design.The first industrial design education in Norway was established in 1979 as a two-year post-graduate course. A full education was started in 1983. From 1989 this education was a part of SHKS, but from 1996, the Institute of Industrial Design has been a part of The Oslo School of Architecture and Design. In 2009, the institute changed its name to the Institute of Design.
Want to know more?
AHO's Official Website